Accessing support or escalating concerns/issues

The School is committed to supporting all trainees to ensure that the training programme and their training experience is high quality, inclusive and supportive.


There are a number of routes for support locally for trainees and training officers to access if they have concerns impacting on themselves or their training environment.

These include:

  • Training Officer/Line Manager or other trusted member of the department
  • Education Leads/organisation Healthcare Science Education Leads
  • Human Resources
  • Organisation Freedom to Speak up Guardian
  • Organisation Lead Scientist
  • Organisation employment policies including Whistleblowing, Grievance, Disciplinary
  • Organisation Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
  • Safeguarding policies
  • Complaints policies
  • Health and wellbeing resources
  • Organisation Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policies/Networks

Trainees are encouraged to raise their concerns locally in the first instance to ensure that any solution and/or learning can be applied directly and as quickly and effectively as possible. Trainees who feel that local support has not yielded satisfactory changes to the training environment can raise a concern with the School by emailing

All concerns raised will be dealt with confidentially. The School will assess and advise if there are safeguarding concerns and may escalate with the employer and or the university where it is deemed appropriate to do so. The School cannot act as arbiter between trainees and their employer. However, we will consider if quality standards are not being met and therefore provide support for both the trainee and department to address and resolve the issues where it is possible to do so.

Teams within the School may collaborate with other NHS England colleagues to ensure that queries are dealt with effectively.

The flowcharts below will help guide you through the process for escalation, it will also help to identify individuals’ roles and responsibilities thought-out the process.


Trainee escalation process

Organisational policies

Trainees are encouraged to first familiarise themselves with local organisational relevant policies before continuing this process.

Additional information about each stage in the trainee process

Training officer/supervisor

Your training officer/supervisor should be your first port of call. You should be able to speak to your training officer/supervisor about any issues relating to the programme or your health and wellbeing.

Click this link for further information on ‘Who will support me at my workplace?’.

University support

If you are having issues with your academic programme, or have any other concerns relating to your academic learning, your first port of call should be the Programme Lead at the University. They will advise you and signpost you to the relevant support options.

Click this link for further information on ‘Getting support at your university’.

Alternative support

If you have any issues relating to your contract of employment or any other employee related issues, you need to contact the HR department in your Trust.

Click this link for further information on ‘Where else can I go for help and advice?’.

National School of Healthcare Science

If your query is unresolved or you need to inform the School of your circumstances, please contact the relevant department below depending on the nature of your query.


Training officer/supervisor escalation process

Additional information about each stage in the training officer/supervisor process

Workplace policies

Use trust wide policies to resolve conduct, capability and all other employee related issues. You should contact:

  • Human Resources
  • Organisational Freedom to Speak up Guardian
  • Organisational Lead Scientist

National School of Healthcare Science

You should contact the School if there are any changes in circumstances. For example:

  • the training officer
  • the department structure
  • training delivery
  • trainee welfare
  • trainee ability to progress or complete their programme

Contact the relevant department below depending on the nature of your concern.

Last updated on 19th September 2023