- Know your timetable. Find out and plot when you are at university, when you are being assessed, all your research deadlines and any other assessment deadlines such as ARP, FRCPath, IAPS.
- Cascade learning from university back into your department and use it to inform new activities in your department.
- Use assessments from university to drive departmental development.
- Look for synergies in aspects of the training.
- Consider need for ethical approval for research work as early as you can.
- Have regular documented reflective review meetings. Always set dates for the next meeting and try to stick to them.
- Make use of the Multi-Source Feedback (MSF) and reflect on it.
- Find new opportunities within and outside your role and make the most of them.
Watch the video below in which four HSST trainees, from different specialisms, share a number of tips for trainees and their departments about how to make HSST work for them, to the benefit of both trainees and departments.
Four HSST trainees, from different specialisms, share a number of tips for trainees and their departments.