As a trainee you should:
- Meet with your workplace supervisor regularly to plan and discuss progress and to develop your skills. Communication and collaboration are key to the HSST programme.
- Review your training plan regularly. Regular updates to training plans should be recorded on OneFile.
- Participate in the annual review of progression.
- Host and attend regional HSST moderation assessment days. These are trust-led or regional events organised by HSST trainees using the Trainee Networks. These support trainees and supervisors to share best practice and understand the right level of evidence.
- Identify a research project early in the programme, including who will supervise.
The types of duties that you can expect to undertake within the workplace are:
- providing routine clinical and/or diagnostic services
- interpreting test results, reporting and authorising of results
- researching, developing and validating new methods of diagnosis
- line management and supervision of other team members
- providing advice that improves patient care and outcome
- advising on the purchase and use of commercial products/equipment
- regional and national involvement in the profession via Professional Bodies and the School