Further entry requirements for the in-service application process


Non-UK Qualifications

If you are relying on non-UK qualifications, you will need to provide a UK ENIC Statement of Comparability at the time of application.


Levels of English competency

As an applicant you must have the required level of communication skills to undertake the role effectively and deliver safe care to patients. You must also be able to demonstrate that you can achieve the standards set for clinical scientists by the Health and Care Professions Council.

The following will help you to demonstrate meeting these standards:

  • Being a national of a majority English speaking country or having worked in an organisation/institution where English was the primary language.
  • Pursued part of university level education in the UK.
  • Hold a degree or relevant educational qualification that was taught in English by a recognised institution abroad.
  • Pass an English language competency test.
  • If you have obtained a Skilled Worker visa to apply to the programme, you will have already demonstrated English language skills as part of the visa application process. Evidence of passing the test set by the Home Office should be provided.

If English is not your first language, you will also have to demonstrate to the Higher Education Institution (HEI) the necessary knowledge of English to meet the entry requirements and enrol on the MSc course.


Academic providers

The master’s degree is provided by one of the universities commissioned by HEE. Most of the specialty programmes are provided by only one university and no alternative is offered. In a small number of cases more than one university provides a specialty and, in these cases, employers may state a preference. However, employers and trainees do not have the final choice. HEE will allocate the university place and will pay the full cost of the master’s degree.