Information about the programme
If you are interested in applying to the programme for 2021, a good starting point is to read our ‘About the Scientist Training Programme’ section and take a look at which specialisms are usually available under the programme.
Which route onto the programme is right for you?
There are two different ways you can apply to the programme. These are referred to as
- Direct entry
- In-service entry
Find out which route might be suitable for you by taking a look at the ‘Routes into the programme’ section.
Check you meet the entry requirements
One of the first things you should do is make sure you meet the entry requirements for the programme. Our ‘Entry requirements’ section includes details on
- General entry requirements
- Relevant degrees
- Applying from outside the UK
- English competency level for international applicants
You could also take a look at the Person Specification that was used to recruit to the 2020 programme, and see if you match what is required.
You will also be able to attend one of the open days held by the individual departments. The open days are usually held between November to January and details are available in the Events section under School related events.
Now is also the time to do some research on the healthcare science role you might like to qualify in.
- Visit the Health Careers website and explore the healthcare science roles
- Watch some of our past and present trainees discussing all aspects of the STP in our Case Studies section
- Download and read ‘Careers in Healthcare Science’
- Visit the NHS England Healthcare Science website for the latest information about what’s happening in this area