If you feel that your ability to complete the required training activities has been significantly affected, you can apply for an extension of time via the Exceptional Extenuating Circumstances policy. The policy allows you to apply for changes to your training programme. This could include:
- additional time to complete the training
- deferral of training
- step off training
- a career break
If you require assistance in completing the application form or require further advice about the policy process, please contact either:
- your training officer/lead or Head of Department
- National School of Healthcare Science on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0121 695 2311
The form, together with any evidence you wish to be considered, must be submitted a minimum of 5 working days prior to the training management panel date.
What does the EEC option cover?
The EEC option covers items such as:
- mental or physical illness (usually in excess of 3 months)
- unexpected carer responsibilities
- sudden return home (abroad) following a family emergency
- training delivery/capacity or quality issues within the host department
Examples and details of the types of evidence that can be provided are available in the guidance for trainees below.
What does the EEC option not cover?
The EEC option does not cover:
- a trainee’s failure to organise their time appropriately
- circumstances for which trainees have had ample opportunity to plan
- technical failures of computers/equipment
- negligence or carelessness on the part of the trainee
- circumstances not disclosed at the appropriate time (unless you were unable to do so e.g. due to hospitalisation)
- maternity/ paternity, parental or adoption leave
Exceptional Extenuating Circumstances panel dates
|EEC panel date||Latest submission date||Likely outcome date|
|Wednesday 4th August 2021||Wednesday 28th July 2021||Wednesday 11th August 2021|
|Wednesday 8th September 2021||Wednesday 1st September 2021||Wednesday 15th September 2021|
|Wednesday 6th October 2021||Wednesday 29th September 2021||Wednesday 13th October 2021|
|Wednesday 3rd November 2021||Wednesday 27th October 2021||Wednesday 10th November 2021|
|Wednesday 1st December 2021||Wednesday 24th November 2021||Wednesday 8th December 2021|