Advancing your clinical and scientific skills for patient and public benefit
Do you see yourself as a future leader in healthcare science?
The Higher Specialist Scientist Training (HSST) programme is an innovative five-year training programme offering an exciting career advancement opportunity for clinical scientists.
Developed jointly between the NHS, Medical Royal Colleges and scientific professional bodies for clinical scientists, the programme is equivalent to the standards of training for medical postgraduate trainees.
The programme is work-based and is supported by an underpinning doctorate-level academic course. Successful completion makes you eligible to apply for available consultant clinical scientist posts.
HEE commissions training posts in accredited training departments through two routes:
- Direct entry – new posts created specifically for the purpose of training and open to competition by application via the online Oriel recruitment system.
- In-service entry – existing posts supported by employers: only clinical scientists nominated by their employer are eligible to apply. Nominees must meet the standards for HSST entry.
Salary: Locally determined by the employer to at least AfC Band 7
Statutory Registration is an essential requirement. You must have one of the following:
- Registration with the HCPC as a Clinical Scientist; or
- HCPC Registration as a Biomedical Scientist, IBMS Specialist Diploma and relevant MSc
- HCPC Registration as a Biomedical Scientist, who holds the British Blood Transfusion Society (BBTS) Specialist diploma in Transfusion Science Practice and relevant MSc
- HCPC Registration as a Biomedical Scientist having completed the CPSM logbook (prior to introduction of the IBMS Specialist Diploma) and relevant MSc
- HCPC Registration as a Biomedical Scientist, IBMS Specialist Diploma and IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma
- HCPC Registration as a Biomedical Scientist, IBMS Specialist Diploma and completion of IBMS 2-part Fellowship Special Exam
- HCPC Registration as a Biomedical Scientist, IBMS Specialist Diploma and IBMS Diploma of Expert Practice
Applicants who are eligible for such registration, and have their application under way, may apply for the HSST programme but if appointed are not eligible to commence an HSST training position until registered.
More information about applying to the HSST, the opportunities available and details of the qualifications and experience you need is available on our website. Also available are the important application deadline dates.