What are the objectives of the drop-in sessions?
Following discussions with trainees and training officers, the school is seeking to expand and continue to develop its communications and offer of support for training through a variety of means. One of the tools we are developing and trialling is the offer of regular drop-in sessions which will provide a means through which trainees and training officers can speak to members of the school directly to offer their expertise and guidance.
The drop-in sessions aim to:
- improve the understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the School, the services it provides and the people who work within it
- enhance opportunities for trainees and training officers to speak to members of the School about particular issues or queries relating to their training
- offer timely advice and support at the point of need
The drop-in sessions will be offered on a regular basis (monthly or bi monthly) and will be themed to maintain focus for particular areas of support or guidance. The themes that will be covered include:
- Accreditation – To offer advice and guidance on training plan requirements, trainee support in the workplace, training officer expectations, departmental changes, impact on accreditation and training and how to prepare for new trainees.
- Assessment – Support and advice for final assessments – sessions with specific focus on IACC/IAPS/professional discussions and other assessment activities to be developed.
- Digital systems – Including use of OneFile or any other systems related to the training and provided through the School.
- Recruitment and commissioning – For employers considering taking trainees including timelines, expressions of interest processes and expectations around recruitment and accreditation activities.
- Scientific advice – Rotation and training planning queries, academic programme queries, completion of programmes, progression issues, professional relationship concerns.
- Training support – Advice and guidance where there are issues or changes to training needed such as progression, exceptional extenuating circumstances e.g., extensions, deferral, step off, career breaks or other. Health and well being advice and guidance, transfers of training advice, queries around maternity, paternity, parental or adoption leave, professional relationship concerns.
How the drop-in sessions will work
The scope and the intended audience for a session will be advertised in advance via the School monthly memo and website so trainees and training officers should attend where they feel the session is relevant or helpful to them. Training and scientific support sessions will be offered on a monthly basis with additional focussed sessions on other areas offered at specific times in the year. Click the link below for the current drop-in session timetable.
Most sessions will offer initial general updates/information with open forum for questions and will then move into individual breakout sessions for 1-2-1 discussions with members of the School where there are specific issues or queries not addressed in the general session. The discussions will be confidential and usually offered on a 15 minute basis per person. Any issues not resolved or requiring follow up will be logged and further time/meetings arranged to address/resolve where possible. The exact format of each session will be advertised in advance with guidance on how to register for a 1-2-1 session.kb-pages
Plans for future sessions
As this is a new initiative by the school we will be keeping the drop-in session attendance and participation under review to identify where the key areas of need are and will be seeking to evaluate their effectiveness/usefulness over the next 3 to 6 months. If demand is high then we may seek to offer more sessions where resources allow. This may mean that we cannot speak to everyone in each session but we will make every effort to ensure that these sessions are as helpful and informative as possible.