The NSHCS work-based assessment standards set out the standards that trainees, trainers and assessors follow when participating in work-based assessments. The standards apply to work-based assessments contained within the STP curricula from 2022 onwards.
For trainees who began in 2022 the standards for in-person assessments (DOPS, OCEs and CBDs) apply. For 2023 starters onwards, all of the work-based assessment standards apply.
Why do we have work-based assessment standards?
The School work-based assessment standards:
- ensure greater standardisation of assessment
- provide the healthcare science community with assurance that the assessment of trainees is meeting common standards
- provide the healthcare science community with confidence in the quality of the STP and of the trainees who complete it
- provide trainees with reassurance that the assessment of workplace skills in their department is robust and meets common standards
What do the STP work-based assessment standards contain?
For each assessment type (training activities, DOPS, OCEs, CBDs) the standards provide clear definitions and expectations about:
- the purpose of the assessment
- how the assessment should be conducted
- the responsibilities of every participant in the assessment life cycle
- who can assess
- how feedback should be provided