What is a clinical academic?

Clinical academics are clinical professionals working across healthcare providers and academic institutions.


They have a dual role combining their clinical career with a research career. They work in health and social care while researching ways to improve patient outcomes.

Clinical academics will have joint appointments between a health and social care provider and an academic institution. Generally, one organisation will hold the substantive contract and the other an honorary contract. With the development of their research career in association with a Higher Education Institution (HEI) there may well be teaching commitments along with the research commitments.

Last updated on 15th February 2024