Message from your ETP Training Programme Director
Welcome to the February ETP memo, which includes information on Healthcare Science week and also our curriculum review. This is an ideal opportunity for everyone, training officers and trainees, to let us know what you think works well and what could be improved.
For those trainees amongst you in the 2021 cohort, please make sure you are aware of the completion criteria and contact us as soon as possible if you have any concerns, particularly if you are not registered for the March Practical Assessment or you are struggling with OneFile progression.
For those in the 2022 cohort, I hope that you are settling in well and enjoying the programme. Most of you will be sitting the BSE Theory exam soon. Good luck with this. It’s an opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge!
For Training officers, we are holding new updated Train the Trainer sessions. Please register for these if you have not attended before or if you want a refresh.
Remember we are here to support you. If you have any questions or concerns please get in touch with the School and/or your regional Echo training leads.
Healthcare Science Week 2023
Healthcare Science Week, 13-19 March 2023, brings together over 50 scientific specialisms and professional groups to celebrate and raise awareness of this diverse NHS workforce. Over the last 75 years NHS healthcare science has played a vital role in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of disease and the health of our population. Healthcare Science Week is an opportunity to showcase this work and inspire the scientific workforce of the future.
Here are some ways you could get involved:
- Raise awareness of the diverse roles within healthcare science:
- Download social media banners, Microsoft Teams backgrounds and email signatures from our website.
- Speak to colleagues, family members, friends or your local community about your role in healthcare science and the impact it has on NHS care and patients.
Inspire people to think about a career in healthcare science:
- Host a stand in a public area or the foyer of your hospital.
- Give a presentation, in person or virtually, to a school, college, university, science society or club, or even your trust board.
- Become a STEM Ambassador for healthcare science.
Click here to find some useful resources for HCS Week 2023.
Turnitin Checker update
1. New Turnitin Checker FAQs published
We have published a set of answers on the school website to some frequently asked questions about the Turnitin Checker on OneFile. This page will be continually updated in response to the questions and issues we encounter.
View the Turnitin Checker FAQs
2. Do I need to run the Turnitin Checker on assessment feedback forms and MSF reports?
NO. The Turnitin Checker only needs to be run on evidence submitted for competencies. You do not need to run the Turnitin Checker on workplace-based assessment feedback forms that are completed for DOPS, OCEs or CBDs, or for MSF reports.
3. Delays in receiving similarity scores and reports
There was a period recently when Turnitin similarity scores and reports were taking much longer than the maximum of 24 hours to be generated. This excessive delay has now been addressed and ‘fixed’. Given the volume of evidence that was being submitted via OneFile to Turnitin, OneFile had placed submissions into a queuing system that was creating these delays. We have worked with OneFile to ensure that submissions are now not delayed. We apologise for the inconvenience that the delays caused.
ETP Train the Trainer
If you are new to the role of Training Officer and will be taking responsibility for an ETP trainee, this training session is essential to your training and is part of the ETP endorsement process.
The training session will help you:
- explain the aims and structure of the ETP
- explain and examine the role of the training officer
- outline training plans with examples
- describe and evaluate the types of assessment and evidence
- reinforce the purpose of reflective practice
- reflect upon what makes effective feedback
- introduce OneFile
- identify training support available and our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
The webinar will last a maximum of 3 hours.
The next ETP Train the Trainer dates are:
- Wednesday 19 April 2023 @ 1.00pm – 4.00pm
- Thursday 15 June 2023 @ 10.00am – 1.00pm
Click here to register to attend an ETP Train the Trainer event.
Review of the ETP Curriculum
We recently announced that we’re beginning a review of the ETP curriculum.
We’d like to thank everyone who expressed an interest in getting involved in the process.
The first step of the review process is to gather feedback from everyone involved in the programme. We want to hear your thoughts on the curriculum. Is it meeting your needs? Where could it be improved? You can provide your feedback until the end of the month. Don’t miss this opportunity to provide your thoughts and feel free to share the survey with your colleagues and networks.
Click here to take the ETP curriculum review survey (expired link)
Healthcare Science Education and Training Collaborative Meeting
We would like to invite all STP training officers to our next healthcare science education and training collaborative meeting that will take place on Monday 27 March at The Birmingham Conference & Events Centre at the Holiday Inn, Hill Street, Birmingham, B5 4EW.
Click here to find the agenda and register for this collaborative meeting on Monday 27 March.
Missed a previous edition of the ETP Monthly Memo?
We’ve published copies of the Monthly Memo for ETP trainees and training officers on our website.
Click here to view previous editions of the ETP Monthly Memo.