News from the National School
Summary from our Healthcare Science Education and Training Collaborative meeting
On Monday 27 March we held our first face-to-face Healthcare Science Education and Training Collaborative meeting.
On our website you will find copies of the presentations made at the Healthcare Science Education and Training Collaborative meeting and summaries from the roundtable sessions and workshops.
The next Healthcare Science Education and Training Collaborative meeting will be held virtually on MS Teams in November.
Launch of new training for trainers
The School is developing a new suite of guidance and learning resources and an overall new training offer to support workplace trainers. These developments are in response to extensive and ongoing feedback from trainers working on of all our programmes and are designed to provide additional support for trainers working with the new STP curricula.
Changes to the assessment of trainees on the new STP curricula
The School has published an updated announcement about changes to the assessment of STP trainees on the new curricula. The key points in the announcement are:
- The School will create and support a unified set of standards for the performance and conduct of all assessments required by our curricula, with a particular focus on the conduct of work-based assessment. With their introduction, trainees, trainers and assessors will be working to a set of national standards for the conduct of all assessments. We aim to publish the standards by the end of September 2023.
- There will be a new STP final assessment for 2025. The final assessment will be different from the IACC. The new final assessment will include a standardised, structured, professional discussion. We aim to provide trainees, trainers and assessors with further details about the new final assessment by the end of September 2023.
- We intend to introduce a revised and streamlined model of progression monitoring which will set trainees minimum and realistic targets for progress on their OneFile e-portfolio for key points in the programme.
- We have decided NOT to introduce external assessment in the workplace. Following extensive exploration of the feasibility of external assessment in the workplace, we have decided NOT to proceed with it as part of the redesign of assessment under the new curricula.
Review of the ETP curriculum
We are very pleased to introduce Lee Bancroft as Lead Editor and we are looking forward to working with Lee on the first review of the ETP curriculum. Lee is an Expert Lead Echocardiographer at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust and has a BSE Level 2 accreditation with 15 years’ experience working in cardiac science.
The Lead Editor’s first job is to work with your expressions of interest to establish a Curriculum Review Group. Once established, we’ll get the Review Group together to discuss your feedback and make decisions on the future direction of the curriculum.
News from our partners
New network for healthcare scientists in the South East region
Calling staff, educators and students in Healthcare Science to join the South East Healthcare Science Network.
The South East Healthcare Science Network brings the four Healthcare Science groups together online, under a single umbrella: Pathology (Laboratory) Sciences, Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering, Physiological Sciences and Bioinformatics.
At the click of a button, the network provides access to:
- Researching funding opportunities
- Careers information
- CPD and training resources
- Volunteering opportunities
- Healthcare Science and STEM Ambassadors
- Mentoring, leadership skills and viva practice
- Apprenticeship and placement information
- Networking with people in Healthcare Science across the region
and much more……
This collaborative approach highlights the many areas of common interest across different Healthcare Science disciplines and strengthens the Healthcare Science community. To join the Network please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Digital Health Leadership programme
This is an NHS Digital Academy programme for aspirational and established digital leaders. Colleagues working across the NHS and social care in England are encouraged to apply to the programme, including those working in Healthcare Science. This is your opportunity to become an expert influencer and the driving force behind strategic, large scale, digital change and transformation across your organisation.
The Programme is a 12-month fully accredited Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip) in Digital Health Leadership delivered by Imperial College London and partners. It is funded centrally and delivered through 8 modules via a mixed delivery model including self-learning with group virtual and group face-to-face sessions.
Applications are now open until 23:59, 14 May 2023.
Complex clinical reasoning programme
NHS England e-learning for healthcare has worked in partnership with University Hospitals Dorset NHS Foundation Trust and St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust to develop a new e-learning programme on complex clinical reasoning.
The programme consists of 9 e-learning sessions in total. Each session sets out clear aims to help learners grow confidence in the clinical reasoning process. This includes: identifying examples of clinical reasoning strategies, describing new and outdated clinical reasoning frameworks and explaining the benefits associated with a multi-professional approach.
Could you provide a greater insight into the different careers in healthcare science?
Prospects, a leading graduate careers organisation, are looking for graduate clinical scientists willing to give up an hour of their time and provide them with a written case study. The case study would be published on their website as part of a series of graduate interviews asking about the work/training experiences of healthcare professionals so far and how they got into their career.
Monday 15th May – Tuesday 4th July online – Virtual Cancer Genetics Course 2023 (expired link)
Wednesday 24th May online – NIHR online webinar introducing new national master’s level research delivery leadership qualifications to prospective learners from all healthcare professions (expired link)
Monday 5th June in Birmingham – British Society of Audiology 2023 Scientific meeting (expired link)
Wednesday 7th June in Ascot – South East Healthcare Science Conference (expired link)
Friday 9th June in Birmingham – Healthcare Science Education 2023: Diversity and Equity in Education (expired link)
Thursday 15th June online – AHCS AI in healthcare science webinar (expired link)
Thursday 22nd June – Rare and Imported Pathogens Laboratory training day for STP trainees (expired link)