IAPS Panel Examiners will assess during a professional discussion, the candidate’s:
- ability to evaluate a research or service-based paper in the specialty and consideration for implementation demonstrating critical reasoning at consultant level
- showcase evidence submitted defended by the candidate to demonstrate that they have met the Higher Specialist Scientist Standards of Proficiency (HSS SoPs) and developed the professional skills and attributes expected of a threshold Consultant Clinical Scientist.
Min criteria/ experience
- An HCPC registered healthcare scientist or a specialist on the General Medical Council specialty register or other relevant professional regulatory register
- A member of their professional body, in good standing in the profession and can demonstrate substantial consultant level experience or equivalent
- Able to demonstrate awareness of the training standard required of the candidates
- Able to provide evidence to confirm that their employer and/or departmental colleagues agree to the examiner taking up this role and will facilitate the commitment required
- Required to demonstrate current and relevant professional development activities
- Required to demonstrate that they have maintained their Equality and Diversity training (certificate of mandatory training or other course taken within the last 3 years)
- Those recently retired individuals who are within 2 years of retirement may also be considered if they are able to provide evidence of maintaining their speciality knowledge up to date.
Typical time commitment per event or per year
IAPS will be held twice a year, in May and December, although there may not be sittings for all HSST specialties at each event.
Each sitting takes half a day in total. We may run two consecutive panels in one day
We will provide a training session for all new panel examiners; this is usually one day’s commitment. A CPD certificate will be issued for your records.
We ask that panel examiners participate in least one IAPS event in two years following training
Compensation for time
This voluntary role is a professional activity at the highest level of assessment within Healthcare Science.
Travel and accommodation expenses will be covered for training and assessment events.