There are two different routes of entry into the STP:
Direct entry – you will complete the full-time three year programme (except for any exemptions) and be employed by an NHS Trust. Your fixed term training contract will be salaried at AfC Band 6 per annum. You can apply to a maximum of two specialisms and choose multiple locations/employers as is available for the individual specialism.
In-service entry – to qualify for application to the in-service positions, you must already be working in your choosen specialism and your employer must already have the following in place:
- A nomination from your current employer for the STP.
- Arrangements for training with your current employer.
You will need an ‘in-service code’ from your employer to complete your application to one of the in-service posts.
The ‘Principles for in-service training routes‘ guidance will provide details for:
- Current NHS employees who wish to apply for the STP while retaining their post;
- Employers who wish to put forward an existing employee for the STP;
- Commissioners considering applications for the STP from existing NHS employees.