Accessing support or escalating concerns and issues

Read this guidance to learn more about the routes and steps to take to access support and escalate any concerns you have about issues affecting your training.


Seeking support and raising concerns locally

Trainees are encouraged to raise their concerns locally in the first instance to ensure that any solutions, changes and learning can be applied directly and as quickly and effectively as possible.

There are a number of routes for support locally for trainees and Training Officers to access if they have concerns impacting on themselves or their training environment.

These include:

  • Training Officer/Line Manager or other trusted member of the department
  • Education Leads/organisation Healthcare Science Education Leads
  • Human Resources
  • Organisation Freedom to Speak up Guardian
  • Organisation Lead Scientist
  • Organisation employment policies including Whistleblowing, Grievance, Disciplinary
  • Organisation Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
  • Safeguarding policies
  • Complaints policies
  • Health and wellbeing resources
  • Organisation Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policies/Networks

Seeking support and raising concerns with the School

Trainees who feel that local support has not yielded satisfactory changes to the training environment can raise a concern with the School by emailing

When it comes to support, it is important to note that the School is unable to offer counselling, clinical or mediation services. However, we will signpost you to resources and places where you can access support in these areas.

All concerns raised with the School will be dealt with confidentially. The School will assess and advise if there are safeguarding concerns and may escalate with the employer and or the university where it is deemed appropriate to do so. The School cannot act as arbiter between trainees and their employer. However, we will consider if quality standards are not being met and therefore provide support for both the trainee and department to address and resolve the issues where it is possible to do so.

Teams within the School may collaborate with other NHS England colleagues to ensure that queries are dealt with effectively.


Escalation flowcharts and routes

The flowcharts and their accompanying information below will help guide you through the process for raising and escalating concerns and also identify individuals’ roles and responsibilities throughout these process.

Trainees and Training Officers are encouraged to first familiarise themselves with all relevant, local, organisational policies before continuing this process.

Trainee escalation

Key information about each stage in the trainee process

Training Officer/supervisor

Your training officer/supervisor should be your first port of call. You should be able to speak to your training officer/supervisor about any issues relating to the programme or your health and wellbeing.

Find out more about ‘Who will support me at my workplace?’.

University support

If you are having issues with your academic programme, or have any other concerns relating to your academic learning, your first port of call should be the Programme Lead at the University. They will advise you and signpost you to the relevant support options.

Find outmore about ‘Getting support at your university’.

Alternative support

If you have any issues relating to your contract of employment or any other employee related issues, you need to contact the HR department in your Trust.

‘Where else can I go for help and advice?’.

National School of Healthcare Science

If your query is unresolved or you need to inform the School of changes in your circumstances, please contact the relevant department below depending on the nature of your query.


Training Officer/supervisor escalation 

Key information about each stage in the training officer/supervisor process

Workplace policies

Use trust wide policies to resolve conduct, capability and all other employee related issues. You should contact:

  • Human Resources
  • Your organisational Freedom to Speak up Guardian
  • Your organisational Lead Scientist

National School of Healthcare Science

You should contact the School if there are any changes in circumstances within your department that may impact upon your training of trainees. For example:

  • the Training Officer
  • the department structure
  • training delivery
  • trainee welfare
  • trainee ability to progress or complete their programme

Contact the relevant department below depending on the nature of your concern.

Further resources

This guide to raising concerns should be read alongside Health Education England’s ‘Raising concerns’ guidance. 

Last updated on 17th April 2024