We offer professional support and guidance for trainees and training officers who may be experiencing issues or challenges. This is done by providing advice, offering a framework of policies and processes to support changes to training, and signposting to resources.
Whilst we are unable to offer counselling, clinical or mediation services, we will sign post you to resources that can:
- offer support for people’s health and well-being
- help address professional relationship issues
- help address other employment or education related concerns
Support requirements vary depending on the situation and maybe resolved by advice provided by email. However, some circumstances may be more complex and require liaison with a range of stakeholders to confirm sufficient training support is provided, and issues are resolved wherever possible.
We will help trainees in the following ways:
- confidential advice and signposting for trainees and training officers through 1-2-1 meetings or joint meetings to discuss issues/concerns
- providing information for both trainees and training departments to utilise via the School website
- collaboration across different education providers and commissioning organisations
- deferrals due to ill health
- interruptions or step off due to service provision issues
- career breaks
- progression monitoring processes
- transfers of training to alternative training providers (by exception only)
- drop in sessions
We will continue to work with trainees, departments and other stakeholders to develop and communicate our services on an ongoing basis.
If a trainee or training officer have any concerns and wish to raise these with us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails will be treated in confidence and are managed by a small number of staff in the School.
What are the roles and responsibilities of the School?
We have a number of roles and responsibilities, that we will perform during your time on the programme:
Assessment – including provision and management of the e-portfolio as well as the delivery of the final exit assessment
- Independent Assessment of Clinical Competence (IACC) for STP trainees
- Independent Assessment of Professional Skills (IAPS) for HSST trainees
Review of progression
- Midterm Review of Progression (MRP) for STP trainees
- Annual Review of Progression (ARP) for HSST trainees
Completion of training – including guidance on completion requirements and issuing the certificate of completion
Accreditation – assessment and approval of the quality of training provision from both work based and academic education providers. Click this link for further information about our Accreditation service.
Curriculum management – Click this link for further information about the Curriculum Library
Scientific advice – via the School’s scientists and Training Programme Directors. Click this link for information about our Training Programme Directors
Education of the educators – via our Train the Trainer programme. Click this link for further information.
Communications on healthcare science matters – via Berne’s Blog, Twitter, School newsletters and website. Also through setting up networks with trainees and education providers.
Research – on healthcare science education, impact of the training programmes and a wide range of other areas to be determined.
What if I need to make a change to my training?
The two main policies that may be able to help you if you are experiencing problems are:
- Exceptional Extenuating Circumstances policy
- Transfer of Training policy
Take a look at the guidance on using the Exceptional Extenuating Circumstances policy. Or access the Transfer of Training policy and application form below.publications pages