Your main sources of support

Last updated: 22nd July 2021

If you are experiencing problems, there are many people available to help you.

Who should I contact if I need help?

Help from the School

The School is here to help you during your time on the programme. We understand that trainees may experience difficulties in progressing through the programme as planned, or that they may need to make a significant change to their training, due to unforeseen circumstances. If you feel that this is the case for you, please email us at as soon as possible. We have a number of processes, policies and guidance in place to assist you.

Click here for the full details on what support you can expect from us and what we are responsible for during your training.

Help from your Trust or workplace

We always recommend that you inform your Training Officer/Supervisor at your place of work, if you are having any problems. You can also contact the Trust’s staff support department, which is sometimes known as Occupational Health. They will be able to help you access a number of services.

Click here for further details on your workplace support.

Help from your University

If you are having problems with your academic programme or have any other concerns then the first person to speak to would be your Programme Lead, who will advise you and signpost you to the relevant support options.

If your problems are not related to the teaching aspect of the programme, don’t forget that as a student at the University you are entitled to access the student support services. Contact details for the University’s Student Advice Centre should be available on their website or you can ask your Programme Lead for their help.

Click here for further details on your University support.

Resources you can access online

There are many online resources that you are available to you at any time. We’ve gathered some together here for you to take a look at.

There are also many more charities that will help you in a crisis. Click here for information from the NHS about getting support from a mental health charity. Together with contact details of the helplines, there are also links to lots more information about getting helping or what to do. This page on student stress has some self-help tips on dealing with stress and spotting the signs on when to get help.