Before starting your STP application


Things to do before you start

  • Have you checked the entry qualifications? STP applicants must have a 1st or 2:1 in either an undergraduate honours degree or an integrated master’s degree.  Both options must be in a pure or applied science subject relevant to the specialty being applied for. Medical degrees are only accepted for Life and Physiological Science specialties. Applicants with a higher degree in a relevant subject for the specialty being applied for and have a 2:2 honours degree in any subject can also apply.
    • STP applicants for reconstructive science posts (maxillofacial prosthetics) must hold current registration as a dental technician with the General Dental Council.
  • Read the guidance on all aspects of applying to the STP, the person specification, entry requirements, curricula, application deadlines, frequently asked questions, and any other necessary information.
  • Plan your time and work out approximately how long it will take you to complete the application form. Consider any time you will need to gather information you wish to include. Try to avoid submitting your application at the last minute. Typically, 60% of applications are submitted in the last 48 hours, which slows the system down due to high volumes of traffic. Under no circumstances will late applications be considered.
  • Contact your referees as early as possible to confirm that they are happy to support your application and provide a reference. Referees will not be contacted until the pre-employment check stage which is undertaken by the employer.
  • Are you relying on anticipated qualifications? If the answer is yes, these will have to be achieved before the start date of the programme. If your grade is not achieved before the start date of the programme, you will no longer be eligible to apply, and this will result in the withdrawal of your application. You will then need to apply to the next available cohort.
  • Are you enrolled on any educational courses? If you are, these must be fully completed by the start date of the programme, otherwise you will not be able to enrol for the MSc.

Non-UK applicants

Non-UK applicants should refer to the national guidance from NHS England and UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to confirm whether or not you are eligible to apply. Search the NHS England and the UK Borders Agency website if you need for further information.

You will need to have the right to work and study in the UK prior to the commencement date of the STP. Due to UKVI requirements applicants on a graduate visa will need to switch to a skilled worker visa if successfully appointed.


International qualifications

If you hold an international qualification, you will need to provide a UK ENIC Statement of Comparability. This statement should be obtained as soon as possible and uploaded to your Oriel application. If this statement is not received before the closing date it must be emailed to us before short listing opens for your application to be considered. The UK ENIC Statement of Comparability must confirm that the ‘Comparable UK qualification is Bachelor Science (Honours) degree at least second class first division’. If the statement contains ‘Comparable UK qualifications Bachelor (Ordinary) degree’ then your degree is not equivalent, and your application will not proceed in the recruitment process. If you receive the statement after applications close, email the certificate to


Levels of English competency

As an applicant you must have the required level of communication skills to undertake the role effectively and deliver safe care to patients. You must also be able to demonstrate that you can achieve the standards set for clinical scientists by the Health and Care Professions Council.

The following will help you to demonstrate meeting these standards:

  • Being a national of a majority English speaking country or having worked in an organisation/institution where English is the primary language.
  • Pursued part of university level education in the UK.
  • Hold a degree or relevant educational qualification that was taught in English by a recognised institution abroad.
  • Pass an English language competency test.
  • If you have obtained a Skilled Worker visa to apply to the programme, you will have already demonstrated English language skills as part of the visa application process. Evidence of passing the test set by the Home Office should be provided.

If English is not your first language, you will also have to demonstrate to the Higher Education Institution (HEI) the necessary knowledge of English to meet the entry requirements and enrol on the MSc course.