You will need to demonstrate, through the presentation of evidence, that you can meet the requirements of the HSST programme and you will do this by organising evidence within an e-portfolio. The portfolio helps you, with support from your Workplace Supervisor, to collect evidence systematically.
Whilst the e-portfolio will take effort and time to complete, it is also a means of demonstrating your particular strengths and achievements to others.
The portfolio should be developed along with your achievements and take on a dynamic role as:
- a record of achievements to date
- a proof of competence and knowledge
- a resource bank of abilities
- a reference tool for appraisal
- a basis for career development
- a record of continuing professional development
In relation to the relevant specialist curriculum and standards of proficiency it provides:
- a clear demonstration of competence and knowledge against learning outcomes and standards of proficiency
- a focus for assessment
- a means to bring together evidence for more than one learning outcome or standard of proficiency
- a focus for the identification of training/learning needs
The e-portfolio will help you work towards certification as a Higher Specialist Scientist and also provides a useful reference tool for your future career.
The e-portfolio will contain:
- the training plans agreed with the Workplace Supervisor identifying progression through the programme
- the written evidence developed that maps to the programme requirements
- the uploaded attachments
- the feedback on evidence
Can we provide evidence in our e-portfolio using FRCPath part 1?
All clinical scientists undertaking HSST in the life sciences will complete FRCPath in parallel to their workplace based learning. The FRCPath primarily demonstrates the knowledge based elements of HSST and a part 1 certificate in the appropriate specialism can be used as evidence to show those learning outcomes have been achieved. However this must be done with the approval of your training officer and a number of work based assessments must also be completed in addition to FRCPath.