e-Learning for Healthcare programmes
The e-Learning for Healthcare website has a collection of links to web based educational resources and other e-learning platforms, that you may find useful to support your training. Please bear in mind that this list is not exhaustive and not all of the materials have been created specifically for the healthcare science training programmes.
This resource on Advanced Radiotherapy includes modules on image-guided brachytherapy for cervix cancer, intensity modulated radiotherapy, stereotactic radiotherapy, prostate brachytherapy, image-guided radiotherapy and proton beam therapy.
Proton Beam Therapy
eProton offers useful background and general awareness of proton beam therapy (PBT) for all staff groups working in NHS radiotherapy and related services, especially for those in referral or support centres. Topics covered include the history of PBT, clinical indications and side effects, physical characteristics and generation of proton beams, treatment planning and delivery, radiation protection, along with the multi-disciplinary patient pathway.
e-Laser is a unique online learning resource that enables all treatment providers to have 24/7 access to Core of Knowledge training in the safe use of lasers and other optical radiation. The Core of Knowledge is recognised by the UK Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency as the minimum level of learning required by users of lasers, intense pulsed light and other optical radiation devices. The focus is on safety with the aim being to protect users, patients and other persons present during laser treatment.
Ionising Radiation Medical Exposure Regulations
e-IRMER is an interactive online training resource supporting the training of NHS and other healthcare professionals who work with patients undergoing ionising radiation medical exposures. The resource covers topics such as:
- Interpretation of the regulations
- The basic physics associated with ionising radiations
- The risks associated with ionising radiations
- The radio-biological effects of exposure to ionising radiations
- The production of x-rays
- The applications of ionising radiations for diagnostic x-ray imaging
- The application of ionising radiations in nuclear medicine
- Practical examples of the roles of duty holders
- The application of ionising radiations for radiotherapy to follow
- Practical examples of how to reduce patients’ exposures to ionising radiations
Written and approved by Medical Equipment trainers, e4Equipment consists of around 50 sessions across the following modules:
- Module 1: Infusion Devices – Volumetric Pumps
- Module 2: Infusion Devices – Syringe Pumps
- Module 3: Suction Units
- Module 4: Safe Use of Beds and Mattresses
- Module 5: Safe Use of Moving and Handling Equipment
- Module 6: Pain Management Pumps
- Module 7: Basic Observation / Monitoring Equipment
- Module 8: Bariatric Equipment
This resource will offer fundamental MRI safety knowledge and develop professional expertise in the following areas:
- MRI safety hazards and risk management
- MRI safety guidelines/legislation
- MRI adverse incident management and reporting